The Ministry of Coal is responsible for development and exploitation of coal and lignite reserves in India. The subjects allocated to the Ministry which include attached and sub-ordinate or other organizations including PSUs concerned with their subjects under the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961, as amended from time to time, are as follows:
- Exploration and development of coking coal and non-coking coal and lignite deposits in India.
- All matters relating to production, supply, distribution and prices of coal.
- Development and operation of coal washeries other than those for which Department of Steel (ISPAT Vibhag) is responsible.
- Low Temperature carbonization of coal and production of synthetic oil from coal.
- Administration of the Coal Mines (Conservation and Development) Act, 1974 (28 of 1974).
- The Coal Mines Provident Fund Organization.
- The Coal Mines Welfare Organization.
- Administration of the Coal Mines Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provision Act, 1948 (46 of 1948).
- Administration of the Coal Mines Labour Welfare Fund Act, 1947 (32 of 1947).
- Rules under the Mines Act, 1952 (32 of 1952) for the levy and collection of duty of excise on coke and coal produced and dispatched from mines and administration of rescue fund.
- Administration of the Coal Bearing Areas (Acquisition and Development) Act, 1957 (20 of 1957).
- Administration of CMSP Act, 2015 (no. 11 of 2015).
Administration of the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act, 1957 (67 of 1957) and other Union Laws in so far the said Act and Laws relate to coal and lignite and sand for stowing, business incidental to such administration including questions concerning various States.